Sunday, September 1, 2013

Exercise of the Day: Lizard Pose.....Relief for Runners

I have been training like crazy lately. Between running, lifting, and going to my boxing classes, my body has taken a toll and over the past two weeks I paid the price. Though I have been foam rolling, I made the mistake of not being diligent with my stretching and became so tight in the hips and hamstrings that running was too painful and now I have to take some time off.  Grr.....so frustrating, but no one to blame but myself!

This week I have been rehabbing by doing a lot of yoga, something I used to do almost daily and have let go to the wayside. Man, do I miss it. The stretch that my poor burnt out runner's legs felt the most benefit from?
Lizard Pose, or Utthan Pristhasana. Glorious. Lizard Pose provides relief to your hips, thighs, and waist, as well as provides a release of tension from your back and neck. 


Here is a way to get into the pose:

1. Start in Downward Dog pose.

2. Lift your left heel into the air as high as you can and then sweep it forward to low lunge position.

3. Position your torso to the right of your forward left thigh and begin to lower your torso towards the floor.
Be sure to keep your right leg lifted and pressing back through the heel and keep your left leg active and pressing into your side.

4. Begin to lower your forearms to the floor to the right of your left heel. If your hips and hamstrings are tight, this may be impossible and you will have to stop and hold the position at your lowest point. Don't force anything, let your body do what it can!

5. At your lowest point, extend your spine, reaching forward through the top of your head, relieving tension in your lower back.

6. Stay in this position for about 5 to 8 breaths. Return to downward dog and then perform the pose on the opposite side.

Already feel better, don't you?

ENJOY!
K


No comments:

Post a Comment